Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Numbers 34 - Deuteronomy 7

Today I learnt mostly of the need to be humble and to listen to His voice and to yield in total submission to His will.

Not really related to today's readings, which was mostly similar to the previous readings and a recap of laws and other geographical locations etc etc. I was more drawn to understand more about the character of Moses; the unlikely leader who God chose to lead His people out of Egypt and into the promise land. Unlikely because he was unconfident, slow of speech, and exiled out of his own country.

I for one, would hate to take on Moses's job. Here is a man who not only had to deal with all the complaining people who many times refused His leadership but also did not make it to the promise land. For whatever reason God decided not to even 'talk about it'; whether it was because Moses had ONE occasion of outburst when he beat the rock instead of speaking to it so that water came out; the fact of the matter is that God only allowed Moses to 'see' the promise land from the top of the mountain, he was not allowed to cross over the Jordan.

wow. talk about remaining faithful to God and of complete dedication and perseverance. Even when God makes it clear that Moses will not inherit the promise land, his descendants would. If I were Moses, honestly, I would flip. Right there. "GOD! I have served You against my own will for all these years, bringing these people out of bondage, bearing with them through the wilderness, showing them Your signs and wonders and miracles and laws and commands, and now, I'm not even allowed to enter the promise land?! what's the deal with that? Oh sure I was angry with the people that ONE time when I hit the rock but COME ON!" and I would probably throw in the towel, right there.

But Moses, the great leader, the most humble man in all the earth (as mentioned by God himself) decides to still obey God, to follow His commands and His will. Fully knowing he won't be receiving his earthy inheritance, the reward, the goal the Israelites were looking forward all these while. Perhaps his complete trust in God and his dedication to his people kept him going. wow.

I'm a person who gets frustrated. I'm a person who needs to see results. I can't imagine serving Him for 'nothing' (if you know what i mean) but maybe, just maybe God is teaching me something though all this. I need to persevere, I need to be humble. I need to yield myself to Him in total submission. I need to obey him without any questioning. If it wasn't for His grace I wouldn't be alive in the first place. I need to be continually reminded about that.

I've got one more semester in this desert, this fire, this storm, this wilderness. When I'm weary, and tired, without the strength to move on. You are here. You know what's best. I trust in You, God :)

Japheth Chew

No comments: